22 March 2010
On the third day of the BA stoppage, Unite has issued an update of how the strike is biting. The evidence shows that BA’s much-vaunted contingencies plans are failing :
Of the 77 flights scheduled:
- 37 of these have been empty
37 are “contingency” – are ready to go but BA do not know if they will have crew to fly them, or in fact customers
3 are running as normal
- Of the 37 empty flights , this includes: JfK, Tel Aviv, Miami, Washington and lA – most of US operation is out.
- Of 37 contingency flights – Denver, Dubai, Seattle, Bombay. These flights will be fully catered in case passengers turn up.
- Only three flights working normally – Hong Kong, Bangkok and Vancouver.
- Managers dressed as crew wandering round car park and have been told to look as if coming into work.
- BA offering strike breakers £100 in taxis each way i.e. – into work and then out.
At 11am Unite joint general secretary, Tony Woodley will address striking BA cabin crew at Bedfont Football Club.