RMT confirms six more days of strike action and overtime ban in South Wales signallers strike

RAIL UNION RMT today confirmed six more days of signallers strike action and an overtime ban in the dispute over the imposition of new rosters linked to the opening of the new South Wales Control Centre.

Following six days of rock solid action earlier this month RMT said today that members have been instructed to take strike action by not booking on for any shift that commences between 00.01 on Monday 4th January 2010 and 23.59 on Saturday 9th January 2010.

Additionally, members are instructed not to work overtime (with the exception of booked/rostered Sunday turns of duty) between 00.01 on Sunday 10th January 2010 and 23.59 on Saturday 6th February 2010.

In an escalation of the dispute RMT has also decided to put further pressure on management by arranging urgent ballots for strike action and action short of a strike at the following locations; Radyr, Radyr Relief, Abercynon, Park Junction, St Fagan’s Crossing, Little Mill, Lydney Crossing and Caldicott Crossing and this will be done as a matter of extreme urgency.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:

After six days of rock solid strike action, which saw managers drafted in from England with a few hours training to run the signalling with serious consequences for services and safety, RMT members are even more determined now to stop the ripping up of agreements and the imposition of new rosters that would wreck their work/life balance.

This dispute is all about money. It’s about cutting corners and demanding that staff are at managements beck and call regardless of the impact on home lives. Our members will not be treated as slabs of meat that the management can pull of the shelf when it suits them.

Senior Network Rail bosses have refused point blank to negotiate a settlement to this dispute. RMT remains available for talks and we will continue to press management to get round the table and negotiate an agreement.”



Comments are closed.